Friday, May 18, 2012

A Weekend Away from Seoul: Jinju

This weekend I was invited to see my friend's hometown, I didn't know but it was outside of Seoul! My friend took me to Jinju, a small riverside city in the south, outside of Seoul. Jinju is known for it's breathtaking scenery and lantern festivals in the fall. Jinju is a small city of approximately 400,000 people but it's nice nonetheless. 

My friends house was amazing! It was my first time in an actual Korean furnished house. The furniture was...different. There was an old fashion heating device, Korean style cabinets, and lots of Korean artwork. 







The first attraction I saw was Jinjuseong Castle. This castle has spectacular views of the Namgang river and is the main historical place in Jinju. Around 1592, Jinjuseong Castle was apparently the location of an important battle in Korean history. At this castle the Korean army held off a massive attack by the Japanese (I think my friend said that it was 20 Japanese soldiers for every 1 Korean soldier). Now this castle pays tribute to the thousands of soldiers who gave up their life defending Jinju and is visited by tourists and Koreans alike. 



Some famous General of one of the battles of Jinju










No comments:

Post a Comment