Thursday, May 3, 2012

Gwanghwamun Palace: Changing of the Guards

Today I had the chance to stop by Gwanghwamun Palace. I've been really meaning to visit this place for a long time but I never seemed to find time to come here. Gwanghwamun is the main gate of Gyeongbukgung Palace. Literally translated, its name means “may the light of enlightenment blanket the world.” Or so I was told.

For me, I found the changing of the guards to be the most fascinating. Passing through the main gate is free but there's a certain point where you need to pay. I found it sufficient to just go to the main gate and see inside the main courtyard. The lucky thing is that you don't need to pay to see the guards and you're welcome to take pictures with them!


A little interesting fact I overheard from a private tour guide was that there are these statues called “Haetae,” looking southward. Haetae's are a mythical creature that is said to protect the palace from fire. In order to protect the palace from any fire, these fire-eating Haetaes was put beside the gate.













Gwanghwamun Palace and the changing of the guards
Gwanghwamun Changing of the guards


Haetae

No comments:

Post a Comment