Monday, February 20, 2012

Adjusting to the cold in Korea

me and my muffler
It's my fourth day in Korea and it feels as if I've been here a lot longer. Maybe it's because I've been eating 4-5 meals a day...

Anyways all I have to say right now is that it's SUPER COLD!! I remember when Hawaii was 60°F I was freezing, but now it's 20°C and when the wind blows people say it feels like 2°C! On my first day in Korea I found out that my maximum time limit I can spend outside (without freezing) was about 10 minutes (at night). But I've gradually adjusted to the cold. I can now spend about 20 minutes outside at a time. The other day I was out exploring Sinchon and I spent about 7 hours exploring! But I would go into a store every 15-20 minutes just to defrost. The worst part is the wind...I never felt wind so cold before. One day I was super red/more tan than normal and I think it was from the wind; like wind burn. I also come to love electric blankets! It's so warm~ I love my electric blanket so much! I was even kind of sad when my friend, Jisoo, had his relatives over and his cousin's dog went on my bed. The dog pretty much wiped its face all over the blanket...I think I'll buy an electric blanket and bring it back to Hawaii.


Ji Soo's little cousin Ji Woo
and the rascal dog that wiped
its face on my blanket


Korea's T money card charger
for the subway

Eventually I decided that I HAD to get a long scarf. After a long and hard search I finally found one. But I learned that in Korea they don't call it a scarf, they call it a muffler...how weird.

The only other eventful thing I've done so far was learning how to use the subway and exploring Sinchon. Sinchon is pretty much like Tokyo with its big flashy buildings. The only thing different is that there are internet/coffee cafe's every block! 




Flashy lights inside the department
store

Mirror tube near the U-Plex/Hyundai
department store


Dusk at Sinchon

No comments:

Post a Comment